Festive Safety Tips from CSS
Here are some security, fire prevention, and general safety tips to keep you and your family safe during the festive season.
- Check that electrical wiring, for decorations kept in sheds or lofts, has not been nibbled by mice.
- Don’t overload sockets with too many plugs for decorations.
- Ensure decorations, and especially Christmas lighting, is badged safe for UK use.
- Keep decorations and helium balloons away from intruder detection units to avoid false alarms.
- Don’t keep internal novelty decorations or Christmas lights on all night.
- Use light timers to keep your home looking occupied.
- Extend and run extension leads for decorations fully out. Don’t leave partially coiled up as they can overheat, creating a fire risk.
- Keep extensions and cables away from rain water (off cars) powering decorations from a garage.
- Never repair a damaged wire connection with tape. This is very dangerous.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are tested and in working order.
- Test your intruder alarm is working.
- Don’t leave candles unattended.
- Make sure external decorations are properly grounded or fixed to cope with storms.
- If your fairy lights are playing up, bin them and buy new ones – to give you peace of mind.
- Keep a torch handy – one that actually works – just in case you do blow a fuse!.
- Ensure all food is properly defrosted and then thoroughly cooked as per the cooking instructions.
- Finally, the festive season is the most common time for trips (over wires) and falls from ladders (actually putting the stuff up). So please be careful and HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS.