Many householders unwittingly make it easy for burglars to intrude on their property. So, to make it harder for burglars you need to know what burglars actually look for when finding a target.
These may seem obvious to most people, however, when you’re rushing out to work, shops or perhaps leaving on holiday, it’s easy to forget the simple things amongst the other things on your mind.
- Wheelie bin left outside property for days when the neighbours have stored theirs.
- A house in darkness over many consecutive days
- Open windows
- Un-secured patio doors (commonly left unlocked in good weather)
- Un-secured storm doors
- No obvious security measures, such as an alarm system or CCTV.
- Unlocked garages and garden sheds
- House and car keys left in view through a glass door, window or letterbox. Statistics show that increasingly intruders are breaking into houses to steal car keys
- Handbags/wallets in view as these can contain an Aladdin’s cave of desirables for the burglar, credit cards, driving licence, keys, money etc.