Sometimes the simplest things can be overlooked when it comes to your home security. However, you can be certain that burglars won’t overlook them.
Here are some simple tips to help you stay safe.
- Only use good quality door and window locks from recognised manufacturers
- Ensure that both doors and windows are secured prior to leaving home
- Never leave car/house keys on a table in the hall. Burglars have been known to use tools to hook your keys through the letterbox and gain entry to your home. This can often lead to the burglar stealing a vehicle along with anything else they can take from the property.
- Use timer devices to switch lights on/off automatically when you are away from home.
- Make sure garden tools, ladders, etc are securely put away. Burglars can use this type of equipment as a means to gaining entry or gain height advantage to access upper floors.
- Be aware of strangers calling at your door, they could be checking the property out before coming back again in the future. If you are suspicious of such callers inform your local Police Community Safety Officer.
- If your locks need replaced contact a member of the Master locksmith association MLA.
- Letterboxes should have an internal cover plate.
- Don’t leave house keys in the door as they can get removed via the letterbox.
- Make sure your burglary insurance cover is actually higher than what you need. Specify cover for individual items of high replacement value against theft..
- Photograph and record serial numbers of your valuables.
- Keep proof of purchase receipts for valuables.
- And of course if you don’t already have one, be sure to install a quality CSS Alarm System