When you leave on holiday there are so many things to think about. Tickets, passports, getting your car prepared, arranging transport to the airport or train station, all your clothing and toilteries….the list is endless (almost).
In amongst all of that you must ensure that your home is secure while you are away. CSS has produced a shortlist of the main things for you to consider to ensure peace of mind while you are away.
- Ensure that all delivered items are cancelled e.g. milk, newspapers, etc.
- Fit automated timers to your lights to switch lights on and off automatically.
- Get a friend or neighbour to help keep an eye on your property. They could perhaps check your post, or rotate your wheelie bins if need be.
- Check that your alarm (if you have one) is set correctly and is fully operational.
- Check that all doors, windows and patio doors are secured properly.
- Another overlooked factor is to check that your property insurance is up to date should the worst happen.
- If your going away for a long time ask Royal Mail about their “keep me safe” service where they will postpone your mail deliveries until you return.
- For additional advice you should contact your local community service officer who will be happy to provide you with further information on what you can do to keep you, your family, and property safe.