Like most people you are probably fearful of ever being the victim of a house burglary. However, do you know the facts surrounding house burglaries?
Have a look at the facts and figures below. Some are surprising and others less so, but one thing is clear, taking the neccessary precautions can provide peace of mind for you and your family.
- Around 60% of burglars used forcible entry to gain access to a home
- 30% entered the home through an unlocked door, window or other opening without resorting to force
- In 70% of burglaries the burglar gains entry through a door
- Households are more than twice as likely to be burgled if they’ve been burgled in the previous four years
- Many burglaries are not pre-planned, they’re carried out by opportunists who discover an open door, window or unguarded valuables in full view
- In 7% of burglaries the perpetrator pushed past the person who opened the front door
- Visible security measures, such as alarm boxes or CCTV cameras, are shown to reduce the chance of a property being targetted in a burglary
- If you are the victim of a burglary and don’t take proper security measures afterwards, it is more likely you will be a victim again at a future date
- Remotely monitored CCTV can be used as evidence in court
- CSS monitors over 10,000 systems installed in properties throughout Scotland